Martha & Mary bible lesson
I love this short story of Jesus entering the home of Martha & Mary and the bible lesson it teaches us as women of our home.
I often ask myself, Melissa are you being a Martha or a Mary? Anyone who has spent time in my home, knows that I can be a busy body. I rarely do nothing and always find some chore that needs to be done.
The problem with this is 2 major points.
- I allow the busy-ness to steal my joy.
- My primary focus is in the wrong direction.
Okay, let’s jump into this short but powerful story and I will share with you the lesson it’s taught me!
At the Home of Martha and Mary
Luke 10:38-42 NIV
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
- It’s good to open our homes and be hospitable.
- Slow down and enjoy the people in our home. This is not limited to our guests, but most importantly the people who live in our home.
- A functioning home is important, but seeking perfection in our homes is in vain. No matter how often I clean and organize, there is still always something to clean and organize.
- Martha was annoyed that Mary wasn’t helping her. I can hear her now because I have so often been her. We can assume by the text that in her comparison to her sister, Martha was breeding anger, frustration and resentment.
- Being at the feet of Jesus needs to be a priority.
Godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
How can you relate to this story?
Please take a moment to leave a comment, I love hearing from you!
Spread the love, down below by sharing with your friends! Thanks so much for reading and encourage someone today!